G'Day Mates!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Day 19: Tuesday March 31

   To be honest, today was a bit stressful. And that's putting it gently. We had a double lesson (meaning 2 back to back hours) with our year 9 English foundational class at the beginning of the day and they were a handful, to say the least. It was an assessment day as well so that meant we were harder on them about talking, using phones, etc. Before we had even gotten started, Beats had to remove two students from class temporarily. One student in particular (let's call him Jay) was causing some real problems. He came in late and proceeded to distract other students that had actually started to do their work. Of course, Beats had already reprimanded him but now was dealing with another student that had come in late so I stepped in. But, being a student teacher, he didn't care too much about me telling him what to do and proceeded to tell me to shut up, that I was annoying, I couldn't tell him what to do, etc. Now I've had worse things said to me and frankly I couldn't care but I was not about to let him distract my other students. This meant that I got to follow him around the room (proximity) and repeatedly tell him to stop distracting other students. Eventually he did return to his seat and stayed there. Even though he still refused to do his work, other people were able to do theirs so it still felt like a win.
    After that we were in Link with our year 10's and again, it's as if I was talking to a wall. Repeatedly Beats and I were trying to redirect students who were watching youtube instead of working on their portfolio and they just acted like they didn't hear us. Thank goodness that's only a half hour long because I was pretty done by the end. Luckily next was lunch and I decided to treat myself, so I went to the canteen for the first time ever and bought a sausage roll. Turns out that may not have been the best plan because by the end of year 10 SOSE I was feeling pretty bad. I did my best to make it through the staff meeting about, idk, google or something, but the moment it ended, I got up, walked outside to the nearest trash can, and promptly vomited. Suffice to say I was done for the night. Terri took me home and I spent some time on the bathroom floor before eventually migrating to the couch. Emily took care of me (aka put on Gilmore Girls and brought me water) and after a nap, I was feeling a little better and even managed to keep down a small bowl of chicken stir fry that Em made (which was delicious, for real). We even went down to the lobby to get some ice cream (strawberry smoothie bar for me) and once we got back, I decided to officially end the kinda crappy day and head to bed.