G'Day Mates!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Day 26: Tuesday April 7

    Our first day back after break was fairly easy. It started with a quiet night and a quiet morning and a quiet bus ride. See, the group that went away this weekend, all 8 of them (including my two noisy roommates), got stuck in Cairns. Their Monday flight was cancelled so they were traveling back today. Which means I had the villa to myself for one more night and I was in heaven. To add to my already good day, Mel and I have mostly year 10 classes and this whole week year 10 students are out of class all week for a driver’s course. Even more quiet. We did sub for one hour where the kids just worked on worksheets and then we wrote poems in our half-hour link class and finished watching Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in our year 9. As for the rest of the day, I worked on assignments by myself in peace.
    The end of the day picked up a little with a raffle and pizza party in the staff common room. This was a little pick-me-up before…parent-teacher interviews! That’s right, I met the parents. We actually only had four meetings but it was still interesting to see how similar they are to our own conferences. Teachers sit at tables in the library and parents come in and talk to them. Some of them have their students, some don’t. We talk about what we’re doing, how can we communicate with them, support them, etc. Compared to other parent interactions I’ve had, it was a relatively easy night. Terri came by to pick us up and after a quick stop at Kingsley’s Chicken, I was home and in bed for the night.