G'Day Mates!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Day 27: Wednesday April 8

    Today was a day of behavior management. Since Mel is the executive teacher for our department, she is called into classes when there are excessive behavior problems. So we spent the morning with a class of year 8’s in mandarin Chinese. It’s amazing to watch Mel go into a class that she doesn’t know but be able to implement her authority and gain their respect. It’s also amazing to see what some positive reinforcement does for both students and teachers. She even gave me a chance to show what I knew by asking me to sit and talk with a student who was refusing to come into the classroom. Unfortunately I wasn’t successful with getting him in but the chat we had did give Mel and I some insight into what the situation is and how it might be fixed. On top of this, while we were trying to help in this room, several other teachers were coming in because they needed Mel’s help as well. Suffice to say, it was a busy morning.
    Luckily our afternoon was an easy one. We had our usual Link class where I helped a student write a poem about a monster that lives in her closet who is afraid of the dark and then we watched Despicable Me with our Year 9 class. I’ll admit though, I wasn’t paying much attention because I was fairly wrapped up in a book. See, next term Mel is teaching Destroying Avalon by Kate McCaffrey and she asked me to make a vocabulary list for her based on words from the book and the list of the 100 most commonly misspelled words. So I started scanning the book for significant words and then I started to read it and then I was obsessed and read the entire thing the rest of the day. It’s really good! It’s about a girl who moves to a new city and begins being cyber-bullied and how she deals with it and how it affects her family and her friends. I would recommend it to anyone who likes YA novels. It’s based in Australia so some of the language is a little different but I think it adds to it.
    Now, let’s play a game. It was Wednesday so what does that mean? Pizza and uni night! Today was a little special though because it was our last seminar on a Wednesday actually on campus. So to commemorate, I finally caved and bought myself a $10 jug. I’m not much of a beer person though so I went with jolly miller hard apple cider. Sooo good! And traditional ham pizza to go with. Needless to say, I was a happy girl going into seminar. And I was even happier to find out that it was going to be a work night, which meant that I got to go home earlier since all my work is done! So after a quick debriefing, a few of us got to head home and I was happily in bed before 9.