G'Day Mates!

Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 29: Friday April 10

    Today was my last day teaching at Kingsford Smith School and like a lot of good things in life it was bittersweet. I’m so excited to know it marked the last day of my student teaching career EVER. It’s been a long nine months getting here and I know it’s going to pay off. But, I was not ready to leave my kids or my colleagues. Being able to observe and work in such a different environment has opened me up to so many new ideas and the connections I was able to make with these kids, even in just a few short weeks, has changed me the more that I have gotten to know them. My time at this school is something I will be able to carry with me and learn from and remember for a lifetime.

    As for the day itself, Mel and I rode in together in the morning after an amazing breakfast of Coco Pops (Coca Crisps to us) and we actually had a relatively easy day. We finished watching Despicable Me with our year 9 English and watched Indiana Jones with the three students who bothered to come to our year 10 SOSE. During the break, the kids put on a little concert and some of the teachers even joined it. Being Friday, we had morning tea and were able to say goodbye to the rest of the school staff. My own staff lounge bought me a wonderful going away present: Books That Changed The World: The 50 Most Influential Books in Human History by Andrew Taylor. Additionally, as the last bell rang, they all began to swarm me to hug goodbye and to check how to spell my name so they could find me on facebook. Eventually I dragged myself away (past the student who first wanted me to take a selfie with her) and climbed in Terri’s van. We headed back to the villa to pack up and an hour and a half later we were at the bus station climbing back on to the Murray bus, headed towards Sydney. It was pretty uneventful, lots of sleeping and Harry Potter audio book. Once we made it and settled back into the now-familiar YHA hostel, food was the next step. Everyone else suddenly had the desire to go out but, at this point, it was 9:30 pm, I had just spent 3 hours on a bus after being at work all day, and all I wanted to do was sleep. So I waved good-bye to the rest of the group, hit up the local Subway and 7-11, and headed back to our hostel to have a quiet dinner by myself before passing out in our bunk beds.