G'Day Mates!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 18: Monday March 30

   You know how I said that Friday is Friday no matter where you are in the world? Well, the same goes for Mondays. My alarm went off at 6:30 am and my mood could best be described as "not feelin' it." But today was the day for my second observation so I dug down deep, put on a dress and smile, and headed to school. The universe was looking out for me though because the only class we had for the day was our beautiful year 10 English during second period.
   The lesson I was teaching was poetic devices. There is a competition in Australia called the Dorothea Mackeller poetry and the teachers have really been pushing for all students to participate. So Beats decided to work it into their assessment for the term and everyone will be writing a poem connecting this years topic, The Open Door, and the novel they just finished The Power of One." For my lesson we first discussed what they thought makes a poem a poem, then I gave a slideshow on various poetic devices that they were able to take notes on. Afterwards, I had them partner up and gave them some poems and they had to find the different examples of the devices. The last step was to have them write their own short poem using at least 4 of the devices. Since this is a high level class,  the students worked quite well. I established expectations with them and created a listening cue that they responded to nearly every time. They are kids so they were a little chatty but proximity monitoring seemed to work well. Of course, many of them complained about having to write a poem and struggled to get started with it but we talked it through. For those struggling, I had them first pick a topic (I gave a couple of suggestions- dream job, family, school- but they were allowed to pick their own) then write down any thought or word they had about the topic. Then they created circles where things connected in their thoughts. The last step was to manipulate the words to fit under one of the poetic devices category. Before they knew it, they had a poem. It was a lot of fun getting to know the kids and hearing about their interests. I helped one girl write a poem about Grey's Anatomy, another about kickboxing, and one about a cow. The only thing I would've changed was a comment I made about letting them chat. My teacher pointed out later that I "had them" and therefore should've "kept them." Overall though I'd say the lesson was quite successful.
Talking to one of my students about how awesome her poem was
    The rest of the day was pretty relaxed. We had a PLT (professional learning team) meeting after school. It was the first time I've really gotten to see some inner-workings of the school. We talked about updated procedures and also the 10 essentials of teaching. We also had one of the teachers present about Google Apps for Education, which is something I've used before in the US and it's super cool. After that, a couple of the teachers and our principal took all of us out to dinner at a place called Debacle. They had two for one pizzas that were amazing. I thought the uni pizza was good but I swear this was better. I had one called the Carnivore- so good! After a long weekend though I went home and called it an early night.