G'Day Mates!

Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 28: Thursday April 9

     Today was the day of surveys and training. Since this is the final week of the term and a large part of our schedule is cut due to classes being away, I filled in time by completing things I really hate, such as online training and surveys. But, I figured that the school as wifi so wi not? (get it- wi, why? Ok moving on). I was lucky enough today to also be able to sit and observe one of my fellow student teachers, as her teacher was away and Mel was covering. It’s so cool to see each other in our own environment and doing the thing we’re all so passionate about. What else was cool about today is that Mel invited me to stay over at her house at the beginning of this trip and today I was finally able to. So, the school day went by mostly in a blur and before I knew it, the final bell had rung.
    After school is when the real fun began. I headed home with Mel and got my first glimpse into real Australian life and, let me just say, I like it. Mel’s house is gorgeous. It reminds me a bit of ranch house with a tiny feeling of haunted and she has the coolest stuff. Lots of niche-homey things mixed with Aboriginal pieces. I alsto took notice of the big game shelf in the front den. She showed me my guest room (which is like bigger than my room at home) and I got to meet her son, Jake. She also introduced me to her two adorable dogs. We hung out and just chatted for a bit before she had to go to a meeting. After she left I used her unlimited wifi (her words) to call Adam, which was such a nice feeling. Later on her partner Shorty came home and we hung out and watched some footy and talked about the different types of leagues. Once Mel got back, we started to set up for dinner. This is also when a couple of her friends, Jill and Christy, stopped by. Christy also had her younger daughter and her baby son with her. It was so much fun, it was like a little party! We had some cider and wine and swapped stories before sitting down for possibly the best nachos I’ve ever had. Chips just covered in beans and meat and cheese and sour cream and guacamole. I told her I was flying her out in November to make them for the wedding. Then, to add to it, she pulls out dessert: strawberry trifle. I almost died; brandy-soaked cake with custard on top, then strawberry filling, then real strawberries, then cream, with chocolate raspberries. I was in heaven. After I inhaled as much as I could, we broke out the games. We played one called Skulls, which is hard to explain, and one called Timeline, where you are given different songs, movies, books, etc, and you have to put them in chronological order. I was better than I thought. The entire night was such a blast and it was so cool to just fit right in and feel comfortable joking around and having fun. I went to bed with a full stomach and a full heart.