G'Day Mates!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day 32: Monday April 13

    Today was our first day volunteering at Questacon. There is so much to love about this place. Free wifi all day, for one. But also it has something for everyone: little kids, big kids, teens, even parents. And, it makes learning science easy and fun.
We’ve been split into teams and my team, Sivan and I, had a pretty easy morning- all we had to do was help set up for the music show then man the doors. We got to watch the show too, which was a nice bonus. Let’s side note to mention that I also got to video chat with my absolutely adorable niece so my day was pretty much made at that point. We grabbed a quick lunch around noon then it was back at it.
    The second half of our shift we were supposed to be busking in the foyer so we teamed up with another group, Lillian and Beth, and brought out the Dr. Scar trolley. Dr. Scar is the one where we use artist makeup to give kids black eyes, scars, bruises, anything. While doing so we teach the kids about how blood cells work and what hemoglobin is but we also mostly just help them come up with really cool stories for how they got their injury.

After a little while Lillian and I decided to break off and play with the Music trolley for a bit. This one has a bunch of slinkys and drums and pop cans and we focus on sound waves and resonators vs. oscillators. It was fun for a bit but four hours of the exact same thing can be boring so we brought out one more cart: the insects. Now, for any of you who know me, you know I am not a fan of anything creepy or crawly. Lillian said she would handle the actual bugs and I could just talk about them but once we got started, things got busy and I was forced to let one of them (then two of them!) crawl on me. Thankfully there were only two types of bugs: the Spiny leafy insect and the Goliath walking stick.

As their names suggest, they are both quite harmless as they just pretend to be part of a tree. Neither of them are poisonous or let alone even bite. They just crawl up your arm and freeze there, thinking that they are in a tree. I actually became quite fond of the walking stick and named him Jeremy (well some of the kids did, but I stuck with it). Not even gonna lie, I was pretty proud of myself and before I knew it, it was time to go.
     We piled into Terri’s van and headed to a local restaurant called Tilly’s for a celebratory dinner. It’s supposed to be like pretty famous and amazing and although the atmosphere was pretty cool (it looked kinda like a speakeasy) the food wasn’t all that amazing. I mean good but I’ve had better. However, I did try a new thing while we were there- hummus. It’s actually not bad. Another thing checked off the list. We headed home and I spent the rest of the night finishing up journals before turning in for an early night.