G'Day Mates!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 8: Friday March 20

      Today marked the official end of our first week. My teacher was still gone so I was able to observe some more classes. In our year 7 English the students are writing original short stories that can be about anything. We worked with the students on using descriptive language where you describe and show what the characters are doing and how instead of just saying it. The example my teacher was using was a short story by Paul Jennings called “Smart Ice Cream.” I had never read this author before but he’s actually quite good and very entertaining. She also gave me another one of his stories “A Dozen Bloomin’ Roses” which was also so good but sad but it showed how you can write about vastly different things using the same technique. I also observed a literacy lesson where the teacher read aloud and students followed along and kept track of words they didn’t know. Then at the end, we worked together to break them down and define them, as well as discussed the context of them. I also attended my first assembly. Every two weeks (or fortnight, according to my students) they hold an assembly to discuss announcements and give out merits from their various houses.  It was very interesting to observe the way that information is distributed amongst the school. Also, it is student led so while teachers may present and discuss, the heads of the houses do most of the organizing and handing out. All in all it was a nice, relaxing Friday that tied off an amazing first week.

      In celebration of making it through out first week, we decided to have a barbeque dinner in the park. It was such a blast listening to music, hanging out in the sun, and just cooking up some food.
It's a little hard to see but here's all 11 of us!
One of the boys, Jason, has some world-famous chicken and pepper fajitas that I would happily eat every day of my life- they were fantastic! We also had a special type of meat: kangaroo! That’s right, I tried kangaroo and it was actually pretty good.
Me taking my first bite
Me realizing that it tastes really good
We tried two types: fillets and sausages (which they call kanga bangas). The meat is actually very good for you because it’s quite lean. It tasted a bit like venison and was pretty flavorful. I also tried asparagus for the first time ever and that was pretty good as well. Plus, our vegetarians made some awesome greek salad and our supervisor brought Tim Tams for dessert. For those of you who don’t know, tim tams are little chocolate cookies that may compare to girl scout cookies because they are sooo good. We even grilled up some shrimp. Yup, just hanging out in Australia making some shrimp on the barbie! Except apparently here they don’t even call them shrimp, they call them prongs but either way, it was delicious. Since both the other houses had cooked, I figured our house could do the dishes so once dark hit we took everything back to our place for some cleaning. By the time we got done, my stomach was over-full and I was worn out so we called it a night.