G'Day Mates!

Friday, March 20, 2015

Day 7: Thursday March 19

    My teacher, Mel, was gone today so I shadowed a couple other secondary teachers in our building. (Side note: that’s what it’s called when you observe. And they also call substitutes “relief teachers”.) I helped in a year 7 alternative lesson. Every year the different years go on camp and those students that choose not to go stayed with us. We discussed the great leaders of the world and what makes a great leader. Next up was year 10 geography with a relief teacher. It was pretty relaxed so we took some time out and I showed them my March Madness brackets and explained what it was. They thought it was so fun!  I even let them help me make one. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes. I also shadowed in a PE/health class that was currently learning about sexuality. The students were year 10 but were so mature and open about the different types of sexuality and what it means and we were able to have mature discussions.  During lunch, I had the chance to try some pork and cabbage dumplings that one of the year 10 classes had made in cooking. I've never had cabbage before but they were quite good! The end of the day was year 7 history class on medieval castles. The class was a bit rowdy but eventually we were able to correctly design our own castle.

       Being the sixth day here, we had started to break off into smaller groups rather than feeling the need to travel as a pack all the time. So after school one of my roommates, Sivan, and I made our way to the bus stop. While waiting there, a car pulled up and started talking to her and suddenly she turns to me and says, “do you want a ride?” You’re probably thinking the same thing I was: “hell no! this is a random person in a foreign country!” Turns out it was actually one of our fellow teachers though so we figured it’d be okay. I had some quick shopping to do so he dropped me at the mall and suddenly I was on my own in Australia for the first time ever! I have to say I felt pretty good, especially since I already knew what stores I needed to go to and where they were. I picked up some souvenirs and groceries then hit up the bus station. Admittedly I was a little nervous at this next step but I remembered our golden rule: when you’re out for a roam, bus three will always take you home.  By the time I got back, everyone else was already down at the pool so I changed and made my way down.
Laying out by the pool
Let’s note that it was already 5 pm and yet the sun was high and shining and we were out for a swim. Fun fact: our pool is saltwater! How crazy is that? The rest of the night was spent relaxing and soaking up all the warm weather I could.