G'Day Mates!

Friday, March 20, 2015

Day 6: Wednesday March 18

    Today was the first day I started to feel comfortable in the classroom. I got my feet a little wet by helping students in my English 10 with essay planning. They are just finishing The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne and next week will be writing an in class essay on the main characters friendship and what can be learned from it. This class is the foundation class, which means they are low literacy levels, so we gave them a planning packet that helped them map out their ideas and write their introduction paragraph. This was a double lesson, meaning it was two 45-minute sessions; so halfway through we took a break to let them get to know me a little. I had them play two truths and a lie, where we split into three groups and each group got three facts about me; two that were the truth and one lie. After that I showed them a map of Michigan and all the different places I’ve lived or visited. The break seemed to help because we started back up with planning and then seemed pretty on track.

     Since this is a school trip, we still have to go to class at least once a week. We decided on making Wednesday our seminar nights at the uni. Wednesdays also happen to be buy 1, get 1 free pizza and $10 beer jug at the uni pub. What a coincidence!
Awesome graffiti outside the uni pub
So we met up for dinner and had some of the best pizza of my life. They make the dough and shred the cheese right there and use a brick oven to cook it. They also use fresh basil and vegetables for toppings. I want to serve this pizza at my wedding. I ate as much as I could before we actually had to go to class. We talked about our different roles and what we wanted this experience to be. We shared our past few days and just debriefed for awhile before realizing that it was dark and, for me, it was past my bedtime.