G'Day Mates!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 1: Thursday March 12

12 pm: Leave my house in Midland, MI
2:30 pm: Arrive at the Detroit airport
5 pm: Board the plane
6 pm: Take off
11 pm (MI time)/8 pm (CA time): Land in LA
12 am (MI Time)/9 pm (CA Time): Board a new plane
1 am (MI Time)/10 pm (CA time): Take off
4 pm (MI time Friday)/7 am (AU time Saturday): Land in Sydney

On the first plane to LA, while I was still feeling eager about all this traveling.

        For those of you taking notes, that’s 2.5 hours in the car, 3.5 hours in the airport, and about 20 hours in the air. This is what I would call a long day. And, of course, my day actually started around 9 am that morning when I woke up panicking about the fact that I didn’t have a camera, which then led to a last minute shopping spree at Meijer and before I knew it, it was time to hit the road. Luckily traffic was fairly light and we got to the airport ahead of schedule; which worked out perfectly with me leaving my wallet in the car and not realizing until we got to the check in desk. Minor mishaps aside, security was quick and in no time I found myself sitting outside gate A75 with my fellow teachers. The next 24 hours of my life consisted of waiting in lines, getting on planes, waiting in tiny cramped airplane seats, flying, killing time with books/movies/phone/ anything, getting off planes, and lots of security. But at 7 am on Saturday March 14th, I stepped outside and took a deep breath of warm Australian air.