G'Day Mates!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 17: Sunday March 29

    Today started off pretty awesome as I got to video chat with my dad finally. It was nice to finally see him and just get to talk. Two weeks is a long time to go without talking to your parents so this is a reminder to anyone who hasn’t talked to theirs recently: give them a call! Afterwards, Terri picked us up and made our way over the bridge into downtown to the Old Bus Depot Market, which is exactly what it sounds like.
It’s a giant warehouse-type building that used to be a bus depot and now, every Sunday, a bunch of street fair/booth vendors come in and sell, well, everything: jams, peanuts, meat, paintings, crafts, books, jewelry, baked goods, candles, anything! I, of course, bought way more than I should have. But I couldn’t resist! I swear I could spend all my money there. I forced myself to leave after my third or fourth purchase (who can keep track?). I met up with the group at Brodburger where I literally had the best burger of my entire life.

I mean I want these served at my wedding; I want to eat them every day for the rest of my life. Of course, then my life would be quite short but it’d be so delicious. They’re also huge, like bigger than my hand. I could feel my arteries clogging but it was well worth it.
















"Floating Figure" by Gaston Lachaise
    After lunch a small group of us went to the Australian National Gallery. Emily’s teacher’s husband works there and offered to give us a free tour. The gallery itself is free but doesn’t offer guides. We went through the sculpture garden, the Aboriginal section, and the contemporary corner.
"Ik Ook" by Mark Di Suvero

In the reflection of "Ik Ook"

There is so much influence from the Aboriginal culture and the desire for equality; it’s amazing to see. David (our guide) explained how the missionaries saw the work the Aboriginals were doing in the sand and encouraged them to record them, some even on bark.
Me with an Aboriginal slit drum

Aboriginal story vases
By Australian artist Daniel Boyd
    Our final stop was the James Turrell exhibit (which David got us special passes into). It was incredible. Turrell is an American artist that works mainly with light and space and how they work together. He uses light projection to create a heavy affect and is known for creating a room as his work in order to control his viewer’s perception. He once cut holes into walls of his hotel to learn more about the different times of day and how it affects the light in the room.

My favorite piece we saw, "Barmah Forest" by Lin Onus
One of his major works is called Roden Crater, which is an old volcano that he is turning into a naked eye observatory. He also is known for creating Skyscapes, where he creates a hole in the ceiling and uses the light and shaping to change the way the viewer sees the shape and colors in the room. We weren’t allowed to take pictures in the exhibit and it’s so hard to describe the full effect of it but it was truly amazing. Once we returned home the rest of the day was all planning: trip planning, lesson planning, dinner planning. I was happy to call it a night when the time came.